Saturday 29 October 2011

pancakes feast

          Hello everyone this is my first post and man!!! I am kind of excited and nervous. The journey of food is just so amazing, kind of unraveling every single day. Everyday is an adventure, something new to try.. Today we celebrated a Pancake Feast.
       
         It was a Monday, no crowd, less work and one of my staff comes in, says to me,  " Chef kuch naya try kare?" the enthusiasm he had just took me on trip of my old days, when I used to plead my chef, for teaching me something new. I announced a pancake feast not knowing why, may be because it is the most comfortable food. Those pancakes with smooth vanilla sugar dust and thick golden honey but where's the twist???
       Am I suppose to try the same old thing or try something new. Then it struck me why don't I experiment with compotes. Out from the first few trial was the Banana toffee Coffee compote and The crisp Pineapple and Rosemary compote.. The most funny part of the compotes that we made today were that they need to be made freshly and are not preserves. Also they need to be served warm as well.
        A nice and simple recipe to be whipped up on a cozy Sunday morning can be doubled up for late lunch.

Pancake batter
Flour-360 gm
Milk 1/2 litre
Eggs : 3 no
Sugar: 50gm
Honey: 2tbsp
Clarified Butter:125ml
Baking powder: 2 &1/2 tsp
Vanilla Essence: 1tsp

Take all the ingredients in a bowl and whip it up to smooth batter. Its that simple and Pancake batter is ready.
All you need to do now is flip it on your pan.

Stack this pancakes, pour some maple syrup or honey and top it up with a dollop of butter, let that melt itself.
Give a last dusting of vanilla sugar.

Here's the surprise now!!!!
Banana Toffee Coffee Compote
Requires
Ripe Banana : 2 no (chopped chunks)
Sugar: 75 gm
Clarified Butter: 15ml
Baileys Irish Cream 45ml
Orange Juice : 20 ml

Caramelise the sugar till it golden, add orange juice and butter, the mixture will bubble rapidly. Don't worry it will settle down once you take it of the gas range. Then throw in the bananas (chopped chunks). Allow them to steep in for couple of minutes.The bananas should be soft by now. Thers it is.Pour this hot over the pancakes just two table spoons will be good for a stack of four.

Enjoy!!!

-Nilesh.



 

2 comments:

  1. sorry guys forgot to add baileys irish cream it is supposed to be added after bananas are soft allow the alcohol to flame completely and there it is compote is ready


    happy cooking

    nilesh

    ReplyDelete