Friday 9 November 2012

The glowing street


When you travel different places, the places aren’t new but your eyes are new. Make most of it. Two years back when I used to work at Indigo Delicatessen at the Palladium mall I had discovered this beautiful fact. I was doing a night shift and Amey had come to pick me up. Every week on Friday we would receive our tips and service charge. The amount for me was gracious like almost 6k + per week. It was one of such Friday before the Diwali week had actually begun. As we rode past the Shivaji park road from Dadar to matunga, we crossed this street which was lightened with lanterns and light sequences all over. It felt as if the street alone was celebrating diwali on behalf of several mumbaikars. My impulse forced to get down. I looked around and I found myself caught joyously and now getting tangled in this unending web of vibrant colours, lights, different types and style of lanterns. We usually routed through the Tulsi pipe road and missed over this street. But this was one of the surprises brought in by the “late night bike riding”. So i quickly expressed my wish to get down and take a walk in this place. it was seconded and supported by Amey. I loved the street so much that every year I buy my decorations for Diwali from this place only.

This year again, we set for this place at 11:30 pm from home. We reached here and my eyeballs had already started scanning the pattern of lanterns, their colours which were rich, vibrant and so many colours. The whole excitement of the child within you comes to life seeing those colours all over the street. I wished I had carried my SLR camera, but nevertheless I captured most of it on my phone. Colours and light are so tasteful ways to express joy and happiness. When you walk over this street, you suddenly recollect how life is lacking colours. We all run the same life schedules and limit our life to a sad dual tone. If you don’t do anything that’s different, how will experience the difference. Even when we choose a lantern we want it to have various colours, want it to be bedazzling and attractive, design should be unique to make it look outstanding. While we make choices for ourselves do we really consider all these objectives, many of us don’t? We don’t like to change but yes everything relative to us, we expect uniqueness from it. The street shone like a torch in darkness of the city. You never expect this street to be quiet in the wee hours of morning. There are people roaming over this street and shopping for lanterns. Many stall keepers are busy making lanterns.

I carefully looked as an artisan started assembling one. The craft of lantern making is so fragile and it also reflects an art of building a society. A framework of wooden sticks joined to each other to hold the lantern firm. It so much indicates strength in unity, organisation and planning which is framework of human civilization. The coloured papers used to make it look attractive are like different human beings, all have different nature, thoughts, abilities and behaviour. The glitter or the art work stands for the festivals, occasions and celebrations in the society which make us social animals. The source of light is knowledge and enlightenment. It transforms the community into multidimensional epitome of excellence and beauty. Well I don’t want you to be more bored with my philosophies. But yes, One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. even in the most minute design of the this world, you will find something related to life because it’s evolved from the same. So, yeah do visit this place but late in night and let me know how you found it.



I made my choice, picked up my favourite. One more thing you need to learn to bargain with these guys, if you wish you can bring down anything worth 350 to 200 also.  Below are some more pictures I couldn't resist myself from sharing.









Cheers!!!!
Anaddict











4 comments:

  1. Wow. These lanterns are amazing. They are used in our area when it's any marriage or any other occasion :)

    Aree
    http://areewithumbrella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ... thank you for the comment.. There's a festival called diwali in India during which such lanterns are put up every where like houses, residential complex, shops and restaurants... You can also check our page on facebook..
      http://www.facebook.com/anaddictpage?ref=hl this is the link or just type anaddict in pages.. Thank you and happy diwali

      Delete
  2. Happy Diwali to you...
    nice n apt post

    ReplyDelete