Friday 22 March 2013

Bloody Mary.. How vegetarian


This is a little small insert I wanted to add like a funny bookmark in my blog. This Saturday night we had a group of jain guest coming to the restaurant. They were strict jain .. No onion no garlic in their food but were quite liberal to enjoy alcohol. They had ordered for bloody Mary with their waiter. The waiter started punching the order. I stood past him to check whether he was entering the right items in the point of sale ... It means the computer through which orders are entered into the system. As he entered 3 bloody mary s I immediately asked him. That's vegetarian right... The server looked at me and then in the POS to confirm what menu item he was entering. Then he again looked at me and now very confident said, "Yes."

“OK" I bellowed as I walked past him since I never wanted to disturb his integrity. However while having lunch I did ask him the ingredients for making a bloody Mary.
He started listing... "Vodka, tomato juice, tobasco sauce, celery salt, pepper, W sauce.
I listened patiently nodding for every ingredient he told me. Then I asked him "what's W sauce?"


He perched his lips gesturing he doesn't know. I brought a bottle of Lea and Perrins close to him and made him read the ingredients which read fish, barley and gluten. He jumped out of his chair. He shook his head vigorously and opened his eyes wide to check it again. He read and then read it again. Worcestershire sauce also known as W sauce which is an ingredient for the bloody Mary cocktail is made with fish. So all my vegetarian friends please ask for it without the W sauce.
I noticed him getting really sad. When I asked him what happened he told me even he is pundit and doesn't eat non vegetarian strictly. But has been drinking Bloody Mary since last two years enormously !!!
 
 

2 comments: